Oct 9, 2006
MRI
Trixie radioed...

MRI--no it's not some racing team that I am part of, but it does sound kind of like one. No it stands for Magnetic Resonance Imaging. It is a a method used to visualize the inside of living organisms as well as to detect the composition of geological structures. It is primarily used to demonstrate pathological or other physiological alterations of living tissues and is a commonly used form of medical imaging.

I knew with my fear of closed in spaces this was going to be tough for me. I don't even like to be in an elevator with 5 or more people. Even the crowds at a NASCAR race freak me out, but I endure.

I was in scrubs (i am going to go out and by some..very comfortable clothes--screw sweat pants) so that relaxed me a little. I went in head first. So far so good. I had ear plugs. The nice lady nurse told me to get comfortable because I had to lay still for at least 20 minutes maybe 30 at the most. Then I had to place my arms above my head. And gave me that "PANIC BUTTON" just in case. Then came the moment of dread for me...THE TUNNEL. I knew I would need to keep my eyes closed but I opened them once and told myself--"Dumbass shut your freakin' eyes!" If you want to get through this painful experience keep your freakin' eyes shut and focus on your happy place. I won't share where I went during this time or who was there with me, but it was definitely helping. Breathing deeply helped as well.

I would occassionly hear "The Voice" asking if I am OK and how long the set of pictures would take. He sounded very cute, but when you are in a tunnel lying very still, any man's voice will sound cute. I just imagined that Tony was on the other side of that voice. (Hey, ya gotta do what ya gotta do). The last round of photos would last 4 minutes. Granted 4 minutes isn't a long time, but when you laying very still in a small confined space it seemed like 4 hours. The only other little annoying part about this experience was the noise the machine made during the whole imaging process. Sometimes it sounded like the intro to dance music I used to hear in the clubs. Had a good beat and rhythm, but I was waiting for the rest of the song to play and the disco lights to start.

All in all I survived this latest round of tests.


footer2.JPG