Dec 20, 2006
A Knight To Remember
Trixie radioed...
The buzz around town has been the focus of Coach Bobby Knight nearing Dean Smith's all time NCAA win record.

I was able to score some tickets for the next three home games in Raiderland. My Red Raiders play Bucknell on Saturday. With a victory on Saturday, Coach Knight will tie Dean Smith's record at 879 victories. This means if the Red Raiders can secure a victory over UNLV on December 28, Coach Knight will become the all-time leader for NCAA Division I wins. I am hoping he will take care of the record while at home. And I will get to be there for all the games.

I have been a Coach Knight fan as long as I can remember. I watched him from the time I knew what a basketball was. I would watch games with my father. There was a time I wanted to be a basketball coach and part of me wanted to be a great coach like Coach Knight. I do remember the "Chair Throwing Game". I remember watching Coach Knight's Hoosiers win the 1987 NCAA basketball championship over the Syracuse Orangmen with a last minute jump shot by Keith Smart. Then of course who could forget his firing from Indiana University.

Raiderland has welcomed Coach Knight with open arms. He has made some headlines during his tenure in Raiderland, but all in all he has been good for my Red Raiders.

Here are some stats on Coach Knight...

He was a member of the 1960 Ohio State NCAA Championship team which included John Havlicek and Jerry Lucas. He began his NCAA coaching career at Army in 1963. While there he coached a fella by the name of Mike Krzyzewski. He then headed off to Indiana University beginning in 1970. While at Indiana he won 3 NCAA titles, 11 Big Ten titles, and had a record 662-239. He came to Raiderland in 2001. While in Lubbock, he earned his 800th victory.

He coached the Pan American team to a gold medal in 1979 and won Olympic gold in 1984.

He is one of only two coaches who both played and coached a national championship--the other??? Dean Smith.

His Indiana Hoosiers went undefeated in 1976.

He was enshrined into the Basketball Hall of Fame on May 13, 1991.

Congratulations Coach Knight! I will be there watching you make history.

**just a note--I have switched The Park over to Beta on Blogger. If you want to comment and don't have a goggle account, you can log on and comment using Anonymous--sorry for the incovenience on this**

Labels:



footer2.JPG