Mar 5, 2007
NASCAR Fans
Coming out of Turn 4...

An open letter to Washington State Representative, Larry Seaquist (D) and State House Speaker, Frank Chopp.

I would first like to address Mr. Seaquist. I understand that ISC is considering building a track in your fine state. I understand that you do not want this track to be built in your fine state. I do however take issue with your comment about NASCAR fans. Here is what you said about us...
"These people are not the kind of people you would want living next to you. They'd be the ones with the junky cares in their front yard and would try to slip around the law."

Now I know you must care a great deal about your home state. I feel the same about the state of Texas. I am sure there are valid reasons for not wanting a NASCAR track in your state...environmental, traffic, etc, however I take offense at what you said about NASCAR fans.

First of all majority of NASCAR fans do not have junky cars in their yards. In fact I have meet quite a few fans in my own town, via this blog, SmokeVip, and at Texas Motor Speedway. I can honestly say they do not have junky cars in their yard or try not to slip around the law. I would have no problem living next door to them. I consider sevaral of them close friends. I believe they would find your statement offensive too.

Since you have an different point of view about NASCAR fans, let me tell you about this particular NASCAR fan. I am from the great state of Texas. I am college educated and hold down a full time job. I am a law abiding citizen. I am kind to others and care about my friends and family. I do not own a junky car and if I did what does it matter to you. I would keep it running because I care about other drivers on the road. And if it stopped running I would try to get it to a junk yard. I am a hard working patriotic person who just happens to love NASCAR.

Greg Biffle who just happens to be from your home state of Washington and who I consider one of the better drivers in NASCAR finds what you said inappropriate. You don't get to be one of the best drivers in NASCAR without some talent behind you. Benny Parsons must have thought he had the gift or Greg Biffle wouldn't be one of the elite drivers in NASCAR. Greg hit the nail on the head when he said you were "uneducated about NASCAR." That's just it.

Secondly, Mr. Chopp, I am offended by what you said about Richard Petty. This man is a 7-time NASCAR champion. He is revered by the NASCAR community. Even people who really don't follow NASCAR as I do, know who Richard Petty is. The Petty family created and built Victory Junction Gang camp to give children who are have chronic illnesses a chance to get away and be just a kid. All of this was created in honor of Richard Petty's grandson Adam Petty who was killed doing what he loved...racing.

I am not without understanding. ISC (International Speedway Corporation) is proposing Washington taxpayers to pay half the facility's cost ($368 million). This is quite a price tag for those who live in the state of Washington. ISC would roughly contribute $180 million and pay for cost overruns according to the proposal. This is probably just one thing to consider in agreeing to having a race track built in your state. I understand there are probably environmental and traffic issues to consider as well. I am not advocating for or against this issue, I don't live in Washington. I do, however, take issue with the assumptions about NASCAR fans. That's what I am upset about. That's it.

So Mr. Seaquist and Mr. Chopp, I would suggest you take time to learn about NASCAR and its fans. You never know...you may have one living next to you.

Labels:



footer2.JPG